Last revised: February 2022
Animeperson understands the importance of protecting your information. We recognize that when you choose to provide us with information about yourself, you trust us to use it in a responsible manner. This Policy applies to any information provided or collected through our website https://www.animeperson.com/ (Website) and outlines how Animeperson as a data controller collects, processes, uses and discloses the information you provide by using the Website.
We will use your personal information only for the purposes and in the manner set forth in this Policy, which describes the steps we take to ensure our processing of your personal information is in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679).
You can also help protect your personal information. The United States federal government has developed practical tips to help you guard against Internet fraud, secure your computer and protect your personal information: http://www.onguardonline.gov/. Please consult these tips to be certain you are doing everything you can to protect your personal information.
Personal Information We Collect about You
“Personal information” means any information about a person from which that person can be identified. We only collect personal information about you on our Website which you volunteer by using the Website. When you visit or use our Website, we collect and process information as outlined below:
- Email Address. Email addresses are used to verify the identity of the person who is registering on the Website. We may also use the email address that you provide to send you emails regarding important updates, as well as additional information and notifications (subject to opting out in the profile settings) related to your continued use of the Website. Email addresses may also be used to prevent spam and to report other illegal activities to the appropriate authorities.
- Username and Password. Usernames and passwords are used to uniquely identify you as a user on the Website, and allow you to use your account and keep it secure. Usernames may also be used to prevent spam and to report other illegal activities to the appropriate authorities.
- Gender and Location. Your gender and location are both optional types of information that you can supply to make your profile more complete. We currently only process this to display it on your profile.
- “Last visited” time and Registration Date. “Last visited” time and registration date may be used as part of account recovery processes should the automated account recovery fail.
- IP Address. This information is used to keep logs of access to the Website to prevent abuse and is used to maintain our network security as part of our efforts to protect your data.
- Activity Feed. Some functionality of the Website relies on data observed from your other interactions with the Website (rather than being directly provided by you). One such example is the activity feed where we use your activity on the Website to build a feed of activity on the Website that other users (also known as “friends”) can follow.
- Changes to your Anime and Manga Lists. The changes made to your anime and manga lists are observed to provide you with the functionality seen as part of the challenges feature. This information is tracked regardless of your participation in a challenge to increase the accuracy of the contents of the challenges.
By using the Website, you provide us with most of the information above. For example, by registering you provide us with a username, an email address and a password. By connecting to the Website, you provide us with an IP address that will be logged for as long as needed to ensure the safety of the Website and its data. Any information that you provide in the various fields on the site may be stored this way (which includes but is not limited to, your forum posts, comments, custom lists and similar content).
The Website is not intended for children. If you are a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area (which includes the European Union), and any other included country or territory (collectively referred to as the European Region), you must be at least 16 years old (or such greater age required in your country) to register use the Website. If you are a citizen of a country except those in the European Region, you must be at least 13 years old (or such greater age required in your country) to use the Website. Certain portions of the Website may be restricted to users who are at least 18 years of age. Animeperson does not knowingly collect data relating to children under 13 (or 16 in the case of the European Economic Area). If you are under the age of 13 (or 16 in the case of the European Economic Area), please do not attempt to register with us at this Website or provide any personal information about yourself to us. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under 13 (or 16 in the case of the European Economic Area) has provided us with personal information, we will promptly delete such information.
Cookies and Log Data
Animeperson may set and access Animeperson cookies on your computer. A cookie is a small data file that we transfer to your computer’s hard disk for record-keeping purposes. We use “persistent cookies” to save your username and login password for future logins to the Website. We use “session ID cookies” to enable certain features of the service available through the Website (Service), to better understand how you interact with the Service and to monitor web traffic routing on the Website and aggregate usage of the Service. You can instruct your browser, by changing its options, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Website or all functionality of the Service.
In addition, as you use the Website, our servers automatically record information that the browser sends (Log Data). Log Data may include, but is not limited to, your computer’s IP address, browser type, the web page you were visiting before you came to the Website and information you search for on a site.
Information Sharing By Animeperson
Animeperson does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or non-affiliated companies except to provide products or services you’ve requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- We provide the information to partners who work on behalf of or with Animeperson under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use your personal information in connection with Animeperson’s provision of the Service to you. They may also communicate with you about offers from Animeperson and our marketing partners. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
- We respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
Animeperson displays targeted advertisements based on personal information. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view, or click targeted ads meet the targeting criteria—for example, women ages 18-24 from a particular geographic area.
- Animeperson does not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted ad. However, by interacting with or viewing an ad, you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
- Animeperson advertisers include financial service providers (such as banks, insurance agents, stock brokers and mortgage lenders) and non-financial companies (such as stores, airlines, and software companies).
We may share aggregated information that includes non-identifying information with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling, and to deliver targeted advertising about other products and services. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your personal information.
Information Sharing By You
Please be aware that when you register to become an Animeperson member, post recommendations and reviews, register for and/or participate in forums and create personal lists such as lists of favorite characters, personal anime/manga lists, etc., other users are able to see that information, including any information that you provide about you, location, gender, birth date and/or age, your screen or user name, in addition to any comments or submissions that you post or submit. We recommend that you guard your anonymity and sensitive information and that you not use your real name as your screen or user name to the extent that allows others to identify you.
Your Ability to Edit and Delete Your Account Information and Preferences
You can edit your Animeperson account information by going to the “Edit Profile” page when you are logged into the Website. You can delete your Animeperson account information by going to the “Contact Us” page and selecting “Delete my account” from the “Subject” dropdown box.
We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the Service, such as service announcements, administrative messages and notifications that are considered part of your Animeperson account, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
After you delete your account, we may continue to post any recommendations, synopses, descriptions, reviews, ratings, lists, contest related information, comments and other information and data you posted through or in connection with your access to the Website. In addition, we may reserve certain of your account information for the purpose of collecting and using aggregate statistical information related to our users generally, but without reference to any of your personal information. In addition, after your account is deleted, Animeperson may retain posts you made in a forum but will attribute those posts to a “guest” and not to you.
Your Rights Regarding Your Personal Information
You have rights under privacy and data protection laws related to the data we process about you. We will honor the requests you make related to your rights as the law allows, which means in some cases there may be legal or other official reasons that we may not be able to address the specific request you make related to your rights. You may:
- request access to the personal information we process about you
- request that we correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you
- request deletion of personal information about you
- request restrictions, temporarily or permanently, on our processing of some or all personal information about you
- request transfer of personal information to you or a third party where we process the data based on your consent or a contract with you, and where our processing is automated
- opt-out or object to our use of personal information about you where our use is based on your consent or our legitimate interests.
Bases for Processing Your Personal Information
We rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, share, and otherwise process the information we have about you for the purposes described in this Policy, including:
- where you have consented to the processing, which you can revoke at any time
- where necessary to comply with a legal obligation, a court order, or to exercise and defend legal claims
- to protect your vital interests, or those of others, such as in the case of emergencies
- where you have made the information public
- where necessary in the public interest
- where necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests. Our legitimate interests include:
- providing and improving the Service.
- keeping the Service safe and secure.
- You have the right to object to processing of your personal information where the processing is carried on for our legitimate interests.
The Website is operated from the United States. If you are located outside of the United States and choose to use the Website or provide information to us, you acknowledge and understand that your information will be transferred, processed and stored in the United States, as it is necessary to provide the Service and perform the Terms of Service. United States privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction.
Links to Third-Party Sites
This Policy does not apply to the practices of people or companies that may be referenced on our Website, including but not limited to advertisers, affiliates, partners, and people that Animeperson does not employ or manage. The Website may contain links to other third-party websites. If you choose to visit an advertiser by “clicking on” a banner ad or other type of advertisement, or by clicking on another third-party link, you will be directed to that third party’s website. The fact that we link to a website or present a banner ad or other type of advertisement is not an endorsement, authorization or representation that we are affiliated with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third-party websites. Those other third-party websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other third-party websites and services have their own policies regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information that you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other third-party websites you visit.
Changes to this Policy
Animeperson may update this Policy from time to time at our discretion. If we make any changes, we will post those changes here and update the “Last Revised” date at the top of this Policy. Your continued use of the Website after we make changes is considered acceptance of those changes, so please check this Policy periodically for updates.
If you have questions, comments, requests or complaints regarding this Policy and the personal information that we process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.