Birthdate: June 6
Age: 17, currently 18
Height: 177cm (5'9"); was 175 cm (5'8") (start)
Weight: 59 kg (130 lbs); was 61kg (134 lbs) (start)
Hair Color: Dark Blue, Black
Eye Color: Dark Blue
Blood Type: AB
Interest: Gardening, making Soba
Likes: Soba, Tempura (pumpkin, green peppers, and lotus root)
Dislikes: Anything group related and lots more
Kanda Yuu is a main protagonist character and member of the fictional religious organization known as the Black Order, in the anime and manga series D.Gray-man, by Katsura Hoshino.
Kanda is a young and handsome Japanese man usually found in any mood that isn't positive. Kanda has long black hair (dark blue in the anime), which the mangaka notes that he uses soap to wash. Lavi comments that Kanda is a "pretty-type character", and Allen occasionally calls him "feminine face". He also has been commented that he has "dark eyes" by the head of the Asian branch (9 years ago) and he has blue eyes in the manga. Kanda seems to be conceited over his hair.
Kanda comes across as cold, stoic, and arrogant, even to his fellow exorcists. In battle he will do anything to win, sometimes at the risk of his teammates. He once made a sarcastic joke about leaving them to die. It is his opinion that exorcists are not saviors.
Yuu, or Yuu, is Kanda's given name, though he dislikes being called by it or even introducing himself as such. He calls Allen "bean sprout" (モヤシ, moyashi, English Dub: "Short Stack"). Kanda seems to know Lavi, though he doesn't hesitate with his usual threats if Lavi calls Kanda by his given name. However, it is clear that Kanda does care for his fellow Exorcists and the Finders (whom he claims not to care about).
He tends to mask his emotions and often claims, "It's none of my business." In spite of his intentions, he and Allen are often at each other's throats and rarely see eye-to-eye on anything.
Kanda's personality seems not to have changed since he was young. At age 9, he was moody and easily annoyed, especially towards another 'second exorcist', Alma Karma, who often followed him around. However, his final conflict with Alma seems to have hardened him further, for, though he was seen laughing with Alma as a child, no such display of frivolity has been witnessed since then.
Kanda's favorite foods are soba noodles and tempura (especially pumpkin, shishitou [a small, sweet green pepper], and lotus root). Kanda dislikes many things, to the point that "there are too many to write down". However, Kanda himself points out that he hates people with naive personalities, people who don't keep their promises, cursed people, people who can't keep their mouths shut, people who call him by his given name, and "sweet things".
Kanda was originally an Innocence accomodator and exorcist of the Black Order, but he was killed by an Akuma. There was also a woman in his life whom he loved.
Kanda is "reborn" a second generation exorcist created by the order 9 years previous to the current events of the story through the efforts of the Epstain and Chang families. His body was modified to heal incredibly quickly in order to sustain synchronization tests. He regularly underwent a shockingly cruel and painful procedure to force them to be able to synchronize with his Innocence, literally tearing him apart in the process. Due to his second exorcist strength and ability to regenerate, the procedure was repeated even after he had 'died' several times. Although initially extremely hostile towards Alma Karma, another child of the second exorcist program, the two eventually become close friends due to their shared experience at the hands of the Order.
Yu begins seeing an illusion of a woman who Alma initially assumes is Fou, the guardian deity of the Asia branch since she had appeared to Alma whilst he was distressed following syncro-testing. He also starts to dream of her and of his death at the hands of an Akuma. The Order realize this and decide that they should terminate Yuu from the program. Alma hears this conversation and rescues Yuu although he is captured by CROW guards in the process.
After landing in a sewer he is washed up in front of a younger Bak Chan and Noise Marie. Eventually after a brief exchange Kanda was taken by the members of CROW to be "terminated" for learning the truth about the Second Exorcist program. The "procedure" proves a failure as Kanda's past memories of an unknown woman reanimate him and allow him to summon the Innocence of Mugen in a sword form which he uses to free himself. As he is escaping he finds an injured Marie and while examining his wound, his blood starts to heal Marie. Kanda decides to take Marie with him in his search of Alma but upon finding him discovers that Alma has killed the staff of the Asian Branch and the members of CROW with his own newly-acquired Innocence. A battle ensues between a psychotic Alma and Kanda resulting in Yuu's arm being cut off. As Alma explains his reasons for murdering everyone he attacks Marie and impales Kanda, leading him to find the resolve to deal a menacing blow to Alma.
Kanda can recover much faster than ordinary humans and able to withstand the blood of Akuma due to a secret skill created by the Chang family, he is also seen being able to rebirth after death "approximately during 580 seconds", reproduce falling limbs, and have an abnormal physical strength.
"Mugen" (六幻,Six Illusions). Kanda has a sword with supernatural powers. He runs his index and middle finger through the back of the blade to activate it, whilst saying Mugen Unsheathe, Innocence Activate, which turns the blade silver. The Shape of the sword has changed throughout Kanda's Timeline, during his childhood, it takes the form of a small butcher blade with multiple small wings on the hilt, upon Kanda's introduction in the beginning of the series, it took the form of a chokuto (a straight Japanese sword without a tsuba) with a black cross-emblazoned hilt and sheath, but after his battle with Skin Boric, it was reforged into a traditional Katana.
• Kaichū: Ichigen (界蟲「一幻」 English dub: Underworld Creatures, First Illusion, lit. Hell's Insects: First Illusion): Kanda swings his sword and releases a small swarm of supernatural creatures that devour his opponents.
• Nigentou (二幻刀, lit. Double Illusion Blades): Kanda covers his sword and scabbard in a coat of energy and generates an energy blade, creating two impossibly sharp weapons. The second blade that he creates over his scabbard can also be just a pure energy blade if the scabbard is not used.
• Hakka Tourou (八花蟷螂, lit. Eight Flowers Praying Mantis): Using Nigentou, Kanda quickly slashes the enemy eight times. The slashes collectively resemble a flower.
• Shouka (昇華, lit. Sublimate): Kanda activates the power of his tattoo, and his pupil changes into three dots. Veins also rise around his eyes. Once Shouka is activated, Kanda can activate Sangenshiki.
• Sangenshiki (禁忌 「三幻式」, lit. Three Illusions): Kanda drastically increases his speed and strength at the cost of some of his life.
• Consume, Mugen: Kanda reconstructs a broken Mugen by reconnecting the pieces with energy. Mugen appears to fall apart after one slash, however.
• Bakuhakuzan (爆魄斬, lit. Explosive Spirit Slash): Kanda needs Sangenshiki to be active to use this, and makes a slash that seems to create small explosions and is strong enough to cut through a Level 4 Akuma. Kanda can also use it with the Fifth Illusion Style.
• Fourth Illusion Style: Kanda's Pupil changes to four dots and he gains another drastic increase in speed and power.
• Fifth Illusion Style: Kanda's hair changes to a shade of light purple and stands up straight, while Mugen's blade glows with a different color and emanates large amounts of electricity. It uses a large amount of Kanda's life. The effects of this sword also seems to give Kanda a need for destruction while sealing up the rest of his emotions leaving only his anger. When he uses the maximum power of the fifth illusion style, the sword takes the same form as when he was child (small butcher blade with multiple small wings on the hilt).
• Ripping Flash Claw: Kanda unleashes seven sharp energy beams.
Related anime:D.Gray-man TV, 2006
D.Gray-man Hallow TV, 2016
Related manga:D.Gray-Man Manga, 2004
D.Gray-man Reverse Light Novel, 2005